Sunday, March 29, 2009

THWAK magazine #4


Always wanting to try something different, my friend John Hett (Journal of MADness publisher) and I decided to take a new approach to our magazines and combined forces for this "special double issue".
One side was THWAK #4 - flip it over and you've got the Journal of MADness #15! This issue came out in Fall/Winter '02 and also included an article on a "Brief History of Humor Magazines" which included a listing of over 40 titles!
I was thrilled that Kent Gamble painted this cover which is by far my favorite. It is also the 1st time that all previous humor magazine mascots have appeared together on one cover. Here Stupid Cupid lights the "candle" to a cake celebrating 50 years of satire in honor of MAD magazine. Boy are those mascots gonna be in for a suprise! Do you think you can name them all? I actually got to handle the original painting while scanning a transparency to print from and the colors were so vibrant. It was stunning! I ended up printing a large poster that now hangs in my office.
Another small tidbit of info was that this cover had a small change to one of our tag lines. Up until this issue we had always had the phrase "Steal Me!" $3.99 on the cover to the right of the logo. I was informed by some store owners that they were having problems with people actually trying to steal the magazines, as if taking us up on the dare. Issue #4 & 5 sported the new and improved "A steal at" $3.99.

2 comments:

  1. Haha... I am no thief but I think I would be tempted to try and steal a magazine that said such a thing on the cover; if just for anarchy's sake if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I see now I know who the culprit is!

    ReplyDelete