Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Humor Magazines - THIMK

THIMK May '58 - May #6 '59 Counterpoint Inc.

With the tremendous success of MAD magazine as a comic book and then its move to a magazine in July 1955 the flood gates were opened again and a host of other publishers wished to capitalize on MAD's format. In the latter part of the '50's 16 other titles emerged that were similar in content. One such addition was THIMK magazine with it's mascott "Otis Dracenstein" a Frankenstein type character (probably capitalizing on the then in full bloom) Monster Craze. THIMK also devoted a number of interior pages to Monsters and also did a number of articles and a cover appearance by the king of rock n' roll Elvis Presley. Overall an OK addition to the long line of parody/satire magazines.

5 comments:

  1. Thimk was one of the weaker humor mags. It seemed to be aimed at younger kids, and the writing was quite uninspired in the one issue I bothered to collect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have now read all of the Thimk issues, and I was wrong (I'm Tom from the other comment). It's actually a pretty funny magazine that got better as it went along. Their satire of Mad in one issue "How to put out an imitation of Angry" is really on the spot and hilarious. Alan J. Whitney was the editor and he apparently became a famous newspaperman in New York. Adrian Lopez was the publisher, and he also published Yell in the '60's and Harpoon/Apple Pie in the '70's, so he kept trying in the humor field. A very enjoyable magazine, which like most humor magazines besides Mad, doesn't get enough respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I am looking for more info on Thimk and i am wondering where you got yours. I would love to be able to certify your statements about Whitney and Lopez.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ger. This is Tom again. I have a large humor magazine collection which I have been complied through the years. Like you, I also like to research the various magazines to learn more information about them. Thimk #6 reveals that Lopez was the publisher in the Statement of Circulation printed in the issue. I don't remember where I found out about Whitney's later career but it would have been while doing some online research. I just can't remember the actual website or sites. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, Tom and I got together and he helped me out with the Thimk chapter of my book Behaving Madly fro Yoe books and IDW. A whole book about the best of the rarest Mad imitations. Get yours from Amazon or the Yoe books store!

    ReplyDelete