Thursday, June 25, 2009

Friends of THWAK - Billy Genius



Back when I was initially soliciting material for the revamped THWAK magazine one of the first submissions I received was from Billy Genius ( via my buddy John Hett). I was amazed at the great detail in his line work while also bowled over by his outrageousness. The more I have seen of his work the more I think his style is very similar to Robert Crumb.
The 1st piece of Billy's that appeared in THWAK #1 was "Before & After Sept 11th" at the time the country was still in shock from the attacks but I felt that the piece was more a statement of what many were thinking/feeling rather than anything humorous. Billy's work graced each subsequent issue of THWAK, as well as all the CRACKED issues I was involved with, JOKESTER and is featured in the latest "The THWAK Bonfire of Insanity Collection" trade paperback with some new material.
The two books above were self published. The Turd book (truly disgusting in a sick way) a must have from those of us who like turd/fart humor, was published as both softback and a hardback book with a dust jacket. The second is a comic style book that has satirically illustrated tales from the Bible and general ribbing on mega churches.

No comments:

Post a Comment