Thursday, March 12, 2009

Al Feldstein, MAD magazine editor at "Alfred We Hardly Knew Thee" museum exhibit from 1-23-2008

One of the greatest gifts I have gotten as a cartoonist and a publisher are the many incredible people I've met and friendships I've made over the years. In Jan '08 I finally got to meet 2 of my longtime friends John Hett (The Journal of MADness) and Marty Hirchak (Pop Art Funnies) in Michigan for John's "Alfred We Hardly Knew Thee", a museum exhibition of Alfred E. Neuman and his past.

What made this event very special for me was to not only be able to meet Al Feldstein but to hang out with him and experience that day with other MAD fans like John and Doug Gilford (The MAD cover site - check the Cool links area on this Blog). After John gave us all a tour of the exhibit the day culminated in a lecture and question and answer session with Mr. Feldstein on his over 30 year career at MAD.

The above picture is of myself, Al Feldstein, John Hett and Doug Gilford posing in front of one of the few remaining "Muffler Men" AKA Alfred E. Neuman who at one time dotted the countryside. This one had been cut in half many years earlier and lived in a store of some sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment